Monday, August 19, 2013

The wait for the first depth chart



By Paul Haynes
Head Coach

We have our first depth chart. I know some of our guys have been wondering and worrying about where they stand since Saturday's scrimmage.

That's hard, and sometimes as a player you don't understand when that depth chart comes out.

It wasn't easy for me when I was in college here at Kent State.

I remember after starting my entire freshman year, I came in as a sophomore with a new coach, and all of a sudden I found myself on the second team.

Of course, I called my parents. I started to complain to my dad and he hung up on me. He told me to work harder, and he hung up the phone. Well, I didn't have any other options, so that's what I did. I went back to work. 

That's what our players today need to understand. Unfortunately, we live in a "now" society. Everybody wants everything now. A lot of people don't understand the meaning of hard work. They don't understand that there is a process and they just want everybody to give them what they want now.

We want our players to understand that we don't set the depth chart. They do.

We analyze every little thing to set the depth chart. It's not just a guy making a play here and a play there, and then doing 10 other things wrong.

We had all of the coaches meet with the players last night just to tell them where they are with regard to this first depth chart. But that status only applies to Monday, Aug. 19. We still have a long way to go until we play, so if they want to change it, show us. The depth chart isn't set until Thursday Aug. 29.

I also tell all of our guys not to say anything about playing offense or defense unless they are on the special units. They need to understand that first and foremost.

Sweating things like this is nerve racking, but it's part of the job. It's a part of their position. It's part of what they signed up for when they decided to play college football.

No comments:

Post a Comment